Friday, August 15, 2014

Garmin Approach S3 GPS Golf Watch Review

The Garmin Strategy S3 golf GPS watch builds upon the earlier generation Strategy S1 by adding a superb touchscreen, higher screen resolution, a simple- to-use marking capacity (including Stableford grading!), spaces to layup points, maps of the contour of each green (with the power to fix the pivot positioning using the...wait for it...touchscreen), rich classes through the whole world (the S1 is restricted to affluent U.S. and Canadian classes), and the power to add your own hazards/targets.

Garmin Approach S3 GPS Golf Watch
The Strategy S1 was the first golf GPS view and we immediately became huge fans. Having spaces easily available on your own wrist keeps things going - no more digging about unclipping a GPS out of your belt or in pockets. The added functionality provided by the S3, as well as the simple- to-use interface and slick good looks, lift it higher.

So what is to not enjoy? Well, when we said you could add your own custom risks and goals, you might have seen that we did not reference any pre-mapped risks and goals...because there are none. Bummer, because the high price would appear to prescribe some contemplation of whether you can in fact clear that creek that cuts through the center of the fairway. It is a pity, especially since Garmin has pre-mapped goals within their class database now (used on their hand-held Strategy string). The Garmin additionally does not offer an on-line golf portal site from which to review saved numbers and scores and Motorola MOTOACTV do.

Pros:

  • Simple use of spaces
  • Class coverage that is outstanding
  • No fees to access class database


Disadvantages:


  • No pre-mapped risks
  • Middling battery life - through a second loop, it will not make it with the long rounds at our public classes


Retail cost: $249.99 (cost reduced with launch of Garmin Strategy S4 Watch)
Three year total price: $249.99
Amazon.com: Assess cost now

I would like to start by saying I'm not a scratch golfer. I usually shoot in the high 80's. I've used the golfshot program on my iphone and possessed a skycaddie. The sky-caddie was fine....I'd often forget to bring it with me and became annoyed with the subscription model. I also grew tired of it is bulkiness. The golfshot app was homicide on my iphone battery although it was trendy. I also did not especially enjoy exposing my Iphone to the components. I had a few close calls when it bounced the golf cart out and luckily landed on grass.

Therefore I made up my mind to put money into another yardage aide. I spent a week studying and considering the advantages and disadvantages of gps vs. laser. It came down to a couple of essential points. As I mentioned I'm not a scratch golfer. I enjoy spaces that are precise but don't hit on my golf clubs consistently for /- 5 yards to make that much. Second, I am known by me. The thought of taking a laser rangefinder out every time I want a space is not appealing. It will wind up staying in my own bag after its novelty wore off. The precise space a laser rangefinder supplies is appealing but overkill for a large proportion of golfers. Most people just want a space that is reasonably precise. Third, I needed something that was mobile enough to ensure I might put it to use often.



True, hand-held gps units are not bad but cannot fit the precision of a laser unit that is good. That is not the point. GPS units let you appreciate the game by giving you pretty precise distances to greens and risks. In addition they function to speed the game up.

No comments:

Post a Comment